Zhang Jiemin: young talented Chinese conductor.
She began to study piano and percussion at the age of 7. She graduated in orchestral conducting and composition at Shanghai Conservatory of Music in 1995. After her graduation, she regularly conducted Shanghai Symphony Orchestra, Shanghai Philharmonic, Shanghai and National Opera House, China Philharmonic, the Beijing Film Orchestra, Guangzhou Symphony Orchestra and Hong Kong Philharmonic.
After directing Carmen at Shanghai Spring Festival in 1997 and Carmen, La BohÃ¨me at the Latvian National Opera in Riga, she continued her activities in several Chinese theatres, directing operas like Aida, Othello, La Traviata, Romeo and Juliet, Faust, Cavalleria Rusticana, Der Fliegende HollÃ¤nder, Turandot, Madame Butterfly, Tosca, Die ZauberflÃ¶te. Her repertoire also includes works by Chinese composer Tan Dun.
- In 1995 Jiemin was named "Resident Conductor" of Shanghai Opera House and Shanghai Youth Orchestra.
- In 1998 Jiemin worked at Maggio Musicale Fiorentino in Florence as assistant to Maestro Zubin Mehta for the production of Turandot in the Forbidden City in Beijing.
- In 1999 Jiemin worked in DÃ¼sseldorf Opera House for the opera Co production Flying Holland in Shanghai Grand Theatre.
- In the 2001-2002 she was appointed as assistant conductor of Maestro Michel Plasson at National Orchestra Capital Du Toulouse in France.
- Since 2002 Jiemin has worked with Shanghai Symphony Orchestra. Jiemin has been a regular guest conductor at the Beijing International Music Festival, Shanghai Spring Music Festival and the Macau International Festival.
- Her Career in Europe began in 2006 with the Gala concert of "Carnival of Venice" at the Teatro La Fenice in Venice, and in the same season, Jiemin conducted several concerts with la Fenice orchestra in during various music festivals held in Italy. In the same year, Jiemin conducted Die ZauberflÃ¶te at the Beijing, Shanghai and Guanzhou theatres with the China philharmonic Orchestra, Shanghai Symphony Orchestra and Guanzhou Symphony Orchestra.
- In 2007 she made her debut in Spain with La Traviata at the Palazzo dello Sport in Madrid, produced by the La Fenice in Venice. In the same year Jiemin conducted Cavalleria Rusticana with San Carlo Opera House in Naples. The work is broadcast by RAI and widespread in DVD by TDK. Jiemin also closed the Opera Season at La Fenice by conducting Turandot.
- In 2008 Jiemin conducted several Italian orchestras including the Symphony of Rome to Salerno opera house for a series of concerts.
- In 2009, Jiemin conducted at Massimo Bellini Opera House in Catania. Further engagements are to follow at the same theatre for the production Barber of Seville in the summer. Jiemin is also due to conduct in April/May with La Fenice Opera House for the opera season with the production of Histoire du Soldat